Forums | developer.brewmp.com Forums | developer.brewmp.com

Developer

Forums

Forums:

My application crashes on the LG 6100 with a "DATA ABORT" message while using the ItextCtl in T9 mode.

A typical sequence of events to reproduce the crash is:
1. Open the screen containing the ItextCtl
2. Use the associated soft key to change the text input mode to T9.
3. Enter text in the text box untill the textbox is full (i.e., MaxSize is reached)
4. Press CLR a few times.
5. App crashes and Handset resets with "DATA ABORT" message.

The interesting thing is that pressing CLR results in more than one character getting cleared. This happens a couple of time then it crashes.

The same code works fine on the Audiovox 8910.

I'm aware of the BCI issue mentioned here: http://brewforums.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=6254, but I dont think this is the cause here.

Any pointers as to what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Do you see this same behavior when using other apps? For example, MobileShop's Search text control?

Do you see this same behavior when using other apps? For example, MobileShop's Search text control?

Good question.
Just checked the Get It Now App, the phone resets with Memory Access error, the moment I select T9 on the search button. This happens everytime.

Good question.
Just checked the Get It Now App, the phone resets with Memory Access error, the moment I select T9 on the search button. This happens everytime.

Interesting. The 6100 I have doesn't crash. What S/W build are you using?

Interesting. The 6100 I have doesn't crash. What S/W build are you using?

The S/W version I have is T61VZV01.
(PRL VER: PRL 50233
ERI ver: ERI 3
Get It Now Ver: 2.1.3.8
VR ver: S1680E4290A021)
BTW, The crash only happens when the textbox is empty before you select T9.
Thanks,
Roshan

The S/W version I have is T61VZV01.
(PRL VER: PRL 50233
ERI ver: ERI 3
Get It Now Ver: 2.1.3.8
VR ver: S1680E4290A021)
BTW, The crash only happens when the textbox is empty before you select T9.
Thanks,
Roshan

IText control seems to be the cause of a large number of the known
issues on handsets. Wouldn't it be less costly all around to just
release the source?

IText control seems to be the cause of a large number of the known
issues on handsets. Wouldn't it be less costly all around to just
release the source?

Try having your device upgraded to a newer build. I'm using T61VZV02 and don't see any problems.

Try having your device upgraded to a newer build. I'm using T61VZV02 and don't see any problems.

Hi Nathan,
What would be the procedure to upgrade the firmware on our handsets? I'm specifically looking at upgrading the firmware on our LG 6100 handset.
Thanks in advance

Hi Nathan,
What would be the procedure to upgrade the firmware on our handsets? I'm specifically looking at upgrading the firmware on our LG 6100 handset.
Thanks in advance

You would probably want to send the device in to our phone center. You can find information on this on the Developer Extranet.

You would probably want to send the device in to our phone center. You can find information on this on the Developer Extranet.

The same problem exists with version 2 of the software. I have eight 6100s, and all of them exhibit the same behavior. T9 just doesn't work in BREW apps on this device.

The same problem exists with version 2 of the software. I have eight 6100s, and all of them exhibit the same behavior. T9 just doesn't work in BREW apps on this device.

Is anybody paying attention to this problem? I've reported it twice, and nobody has any answers. This is of sufficient magnitude to eliminate the VX-6100 as a viable target platform for any BREW app that needs T9 input!
Yahoo instant messenger works great with T9. They also clearly don't use ITextCtl. How about somebody mentioning a work around, or at least a way to get good access to the T9 interface to roll our own replacement for ITextCtl? Better still, just release the source for ITextCtl, and let the developer community here rewrite it to get around this problem on vendors like LG, who always seem to break a major interface (witness the BitBlt dirty region bug on te VX-6000).

Is anybody paying attention to this problem? I've reported it twice, and nobody has any answers. This is of sufficient magnitude to eliminate the VX-6100 as a viable target platform for any BREW app that needs T9 input!
Yahoo instant messenger works great with T9. They also clearly don't use ITextCtl. How about somebody mentioning a work around, or at least a way to get good access to the T9 interface to roll our own replacement for ITextCtl? Better still, just release the source for ITextCtl, and let the developer community here rewrite it to get around this problem on vendors like LG, who always seem to break a major interface (witness the BitBlt dirty region bug on te VX-6000).

Hi,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I am still not able to reproduce the problem on my handsets.
If you'd like to send me some sample code that demonstrates the problem, that will help me determine a workaround.

Hi,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, but I am still not able to reproduce the problem on my handsets.
If you'd like to send me some sample code that demonstrates the problem, that will help me determine a workaround.