Forums | developer.brewmp.com Forums | developer.brewmp.com

Developer

Forums

Forums:

I am having trouble loading applications on the 720 motorola handset. I have generated a sig file from the extranet and copied this and the other files to the handset. When I start the application on the phone I see: Application Digital Signature Failuer (1029)

This may or may not be related, but when I load a second application onto the phone and then reset the phone, the second application directory (including all its files) as well as the MIF file for the second application are no longert in the file system.

You have to test enable the phone.
-Premal

You have to test enable the phone.
-Premal

Hi Premal, Dave,
we're trying to load our app to a LG TM520 3G-1X phone, and even though we're following instructions here to the letter, we're getting this same error Dave reported. Premal's reply suggests there is something else that needs to be done on the phone prior to app loading. I searched on Qualcomm's extranet, but could not find any specific information (aside from this recommendation to "re-flash the phone").
Could anyone please point me to additional information about this?
TIA
Andre

Hi Premal, Dave,
we're trying to load our app to a LG TM520 3G-1X phone, and even though we're following instructions here to the letter, we're getting this same error Dave reported. Premal's reply suggests there is something else that needs to be done on the phone prior to app loading. I searched on Qualcomm's extranet, but could not find any specific information (aside from this recommendation to "re-flash the phone").
Could anyone please point me to additional information about this?
TIA
Andre

Hi,
you need to have the phone test enabled. Send it to the address in 18c listed here
http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/developer/support/faq/techfaq18.html

Hi,
you need to have the phone test enabled. Send it to the address in 18c listed here
http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/developer/support/faq/techfaq18.html

Hi polygonsheep, thks for the reply (believe me, I really searched the FAQ... silly oversight :()
Mmmh... I will try to contact local (Brazil) Qualcomm representative -- theoretically, this particular device should be already test enabled.
Is there any other possible cause for error 1029? Is there anyway I could check if the phone is test enabled or not?
TIA
Andre

Hi polygonsheep, thks for the reply (believe me, I really searched the FAQ... silly oversight :()
Mmmh... I will try to contact local (Brazil) Qualcomm representative -- theoretically, this particular device should be already test enabled.
Is there any other possible cause for error 1029? Is there anyway I could check if the phone is test enabled or not?
TIA
Andre

as far as i know, if your phone is not test-enabled and you load your own app on it as "/myapp/*.mod, bar, sig", the phone will automatically erase this directory and myapp.mif under / after restarting.
this has been proven on both our T720 and LGvx4400. though i don't know how other phones will re-act.

as far as i know, if your phone is not test-enabled and you load your own app on it as "/myapp/*.mod, bar, sig", the phone will automatically erase this directory and myapp.mif under / after restarting.
this has been proven on both our T720 and LGvx4400. though i don't know how other phones will re-act.

Hi Samsonsu,
thks for the info, I will test this ASAP (which probably means tomorrow).
Best,
Andre

Hi Samsonsu,
thks for the info, I will test this ASAP (which probably means tomorrow).
Best,
Andre

by the way, never try to do "master reset" on your test-enabled phone. i once did that by accident, and the test-bit is cleared. thus i must send the phone to qualcomm to re-enable it again. they don't have local service in bay area. that is really a bad thing.

by the way, never try to do "master reset" on your test-enabled phone. i once did that by accident, and the test-bit is cleared. thus i must send the phone to qualcomm to re-enable it again. they don't have local service in bay area. that is really a bad thing.

Mmmh... I am actually co-developing this app, but all attempts to load it to the phone have been done by another guy. All I can do now is hope he hasn't done a master reset...
Thks for the additional info.

Mmmh... I am actually co-developing this app, but all attempts to load it to the phone have been done by another guy. All I can do now is hope he hasn't done a master reset...
Thks for the additional info.

Ok, folks, here I am again.
I talked to my co-worker, and we went through the process of uploading the app together. Since we're still stuck, I will summarize here what has been done hoping someone will spot some (stupid) basic error...
[=1]
we compiled an application called "teste" with ADS 1.2
went to Test Sig Generator at https://brewx.qualcomm.com/developer/extranet/support/devtools.jsp
input our app name and ESN hex id, according to required standard
downloaded sig file "teste.sig"
uploaded files to phone, following dir requirements (/teste.mif, /teste/teste.mod, /teste/teste.sig)
[*]reset the phone (through BrewAppLoader's GUI)
[/=1]
When phone comes back up, trying to run "Teste" app (the app name on the MIF file starts with a capital 'T') flashes the infamous "Application digital signature failure (1029)" message :confused:
So, have we missed anything or could we really have a problem with this phone? Any clues?
Any help will be much appreciated... let me know if you need additional info.
TIA
Andre[/]

Ok, folks, here I am again.
I talked to my co-worker, and we went through the process of uploading the app together. Since we're still stuck, I will summarize here what has been done hoping someone will spot some (stupid) basic error...
[=1]
we compiled an application called "teste" with ADS 1.2
went to Test Sig Generator at https://brewx.qualcomm.com/developer/extranet/support/devtools.jsp
input our app name and ESN hex id, according to required standard
downloaded sig file "teste.sig"
uploaded files to phone, following dir requirements (/teste.mif, /teste/teste.mod, /teste/teste.sig)
[*]reset the phone (through BrewAppLoader's GUI)
[/=1]
When phone comes back up, trying to run "Teste" app (the app name on the MIF file starts with a capital 'T') flashes the infamous "Application digital signature failure (1029)" message :confused:
So, have we missed anything or could we really have a problem with this phone? Any clues?
Any help will be much appreciated... let me know if you need additional info.
TIA
Andre[/]

Everything looks okay. Do you still have problems?

Everything looks okay. Do you still have problems?

Yep... :( we have even given our small "hello world" app to a friend that also works with Brew development so that he could try to upload it to another device; he did upload the files as I described on my previous message (with our own .sig file) and it worked -- on 2 different devices.
We're clueless... could it be a problem with our phone? Anyone else experienced such behavior? (we have already asked for a new device for testing anyway...)
Thks for the attention.
Best,
Andre

Yep... :( we have even given our small "hello world" app to a friend that also works with Brew development so that he could try to upload it to another device; he did upload the files as I described on my previous message (with our own .sig file) and it worked -- on 2 different devices.
We're clueless... could it be a problem with our phone? Anyone else experienced such behavior? (we have already asked for a new device for testing anyway...)
Thks for the attention.
Best,
Andre

Have you done a master rest after you loaded your app? That could screw things up.
So far I have uploaded to at least 4 devices. All without any problems!
You might want to contact Qualcomm. They respond very quickly.
-Vasanth

Have you done a master rest after you loaded your app? That could screw things up.
So far I have uploaded to at least 4 devices. All without any problems!
You might want to contact Qualcomm. They respond very quickly.
-Vasanth

Yeah, I heard so. I can't say we haven't done a master reset (I still don't know exactly what it takes to do it), but, yes, I guess it is possible.
We should be receiving a new device for testing soon. Meanwhile I will see if Qualcomm can shed some light on this.
Thks for lending a hand.
Best,
Andre

Yeah, I heard so. I can't say we haven't done a master reset (I still don't know exactly what it takes to do it), but, yes, I guess it is possible.
We should be receiving a new device for testing soon. Meanwhile I will see if Qualcomm can shed some light on this.
Thks for lending a hand.
Best,
Andre

you could try turning you phone off and on back again using its own keys instead brew apploader reset functions, since you don't know what kind of reset you're doing...
[]'s
Marcel

you could try turning you phone off and on back again using its own keys instead brew apploader reset functions, since you don't know what kind of reset you're doing...
[]'s
Marcel

Hi Marcel,
we have turned the phone on/off many times during the tests. AFAIK the resets we have done were:

BREW app loader reset
turn the phone off/on

We have also removed the phone's battery once, to see the ESN code (is this the infamous "master-reset"?) The reason why I cannot tell if we had or had not done a master reser is because I still could not get a precise definition for it... :)
Thks,
Andre

Hi Marcel,
we have turned the phone on/off many times during the tests. AFAIK the resets we have done were:

BREW app loader reset
turn the phone off/on

We have also removed the phone's battery once, to see the ESN code (is this the infamous "master-reset"?) The reason why I cannot tell if we had or had not done a master reser is because I still could not get a precise definition for it... :)
Thks,
Andre

I'm not sure how to do a master reset too, but it isn't taking off the batery, that's for sure!
every time I put a new mif file , I simply turn the phone off and on, I never used the apploader to reset the phone

I'm not sure how to do a master reset too, but it isn't taking off the batery, that's for sure!
every time I put a new mif file , I simply turn the phone off and on, I never used the apploader to reset the phone

No that's not that master reset.
Please don't do this. But, this is how you would do a master reset
This is only for T720.
1. Make sure you are in the main screen (where you see shortcuts, openwave, messages, brew icons.)
2. press the top middle button which gives more options.
3. Move over to 'settings' icons and select it
4. scroll down to 'initial settings' and select it
5. scroll down to 'master reset' and select it
I guess(hope) there is a You really want to do this? message. But I haven't (and don't want to ) tried it.

This is only for T720.
1. Make sure you are in the main screen (where you see shortcuts, openwave, messages, brew icons.)
I guess(hope) there is a You really want to do this? message. But I haven't (and don't want to ) tried it.

Thks, vasanths -- now I know how to master-reset a phone (rest assured I won't do this ;))
Marcel: neither way worked for us... this phone simply refuses to cooperate (as if we didn't have enough problems coding the app, testing it seems to be impossible ;))

Thks, vasanths -- now I know how to master-reset a phone (rest assured I won't do this ;))
Marcel: neither way worked for us... this phone simply refuses to cooperate (as if we didn't have enough problems coding the app, testing it seems to be impossible ;))

yes, vasanths is definetely correct. it is exactly how i accidently cleared our test-bit before.
so, know it, but don't try it.
removing battery is safe, not a master reset. you won't lose anything by removing battery (i only removed the battery for 1-2 minutes. i don't know what would happen if you leave the phone without battery for 1 week)
Quote:Originally posted by vasanths
This is only for T720.
I guess(hope) there is a [B]You really want to do this? message. But I haven't (and don't want to ) tried it. [/B]

yes, vasanths is definetely correct. it is exactly how i accidently cleared our test-bit before.
so, know it, but don't try it.
removing battery is safe, not a master reset. you won't lose anything by removing battery (i only removed the battery for 1-2 minutes. i don't know what would happen if you leave the phone without battery for 1 week)
This is only for T720.
I guess(hope) there is a [B]You really want to do this? message. But I haven't (and don't want to ) tried it. [/B]

ei guys when i open Brew AppLoader and the dialog box with the supported devices is shown I can't see that t720 or any motorola phones are supported, is there a new Apploader that supports t720 or do I have to download a new dll that will support t720, or the Brew Apploader v2.1.04 already supports t720s?

ei guys when i open Brew AppLoader and the dialog box with the supported devices is shown I can't see that t720 or any motorola phones are supported, is there a new Apploader that supports t720 or do I have to download a new dll that will support t720, or the Brew Apploader v2.1.04 already supports t720s?

[/B]
I have a question about the brew icons, after you send the phone to qualcomm for test enabling, will they put the brew icons on the main menu? or when you upload your application that is the time where you can see the brew icons?

[/B]
I have a question about the brew icons, after you send the phone to qualcomm for test enabling, will they put the brew icons on the main menu? or when you upload your application that is the time where you can see the brew icons?

1) yes the brew apploader already supports the t720. you just need to install the driver for the usb cable, and then another port such as COM5 will show up in the list under "select devce ID", select that port to connect to the t720
2) do you mean the icons you defined for your application in the .mif file? if so, the "icon" setting on the main mif editor window is only used for the copyright dialog (I think), to set the icons on the application manager (where you select your application) click the "Advanced" button and choose images for "Image" and "Thumbnail Image" from that window.

1) yes the brew apploader already supports the t720. you just need to install the driver for the usb cable, and then another port such as COM5 will show up in the list under "select devce ID", select that port to connect to the t720
2) do you mean the icons you defined for your application in the .mif file? if so, the "icon" setting on the main mif editor window is only used for the copyright dialog (I think), to set the icons on the application manager (where you select your application) click the "Advanced" button and choose images for "Image" and "Thumbnail Image" from that window.

well, i really don't know why i can't see the application, but here are the reasons that i think that may cause it
the phone is not test enabled
or maybe ads v1.2 does not support brew v2
tyndal what are you currently using right now, what version of ARM compiler and BREW SDK, just to make sure that we are using the right tools.
also is there a difference in compilation if i use an evaluation copy of ads v1.2.
about the advance button /menu where can i find it? and if the mif of my application has no specified icon, will an icon appear also?

well, i really don't know why i can't see the application, but here are the reasons that i think that may cause it
the phone is not test enabled
or maybe ads v1.2 does not support brew v2
tyndal what are you currently using right now, what version of ARM compiler and BREW SDK, just to make sure that we are using the right tools.
also is there a difference in compilation if i use an evaluation copy of ads v1.2.
about the advance button /menu where can i find it? and if the mif of my application has no specified icon, will an icon appear also?

I would guess that maybe your phone isnt test enabled...
the version of the arm compiler should make no difference on if the application
shows up on the application menu. (however i have used both the evaluation version of the compiler and the one that comes in the ARM Brew Builder 1.0)
I can create a mif file without creating a corresponding binary and it will show up on the app menu (of course, i get an error if i try to run it). I use the 1.1 version of the mif editor, since 2.x mif editor files are incompatable. maybe you are trying to use a 2.0 mif file??
the Advanced button is on the main mif editor window

I would guess that maybe your phone isnt test enabled...
the version of the arm compiler should make no difference on if the application
shows up on the application menu. (however i have used both the evaluation version of the compiler and the one that comes in the ARM Brew Builder 1.0)
I can create a mif file without creating a corresponding binary and it will show up on the app menu (of course, i get an error if i try to run it). I use the 1.1 version of the mif editor, since 2.x mif editor files are incompatable. maybe you are trying to use a 2.0 mif file??
the Advanced button is on the main mif editor window

yes I am using mif v2, so I need to use brew sdk v1.1? and ADS v 1.2 can support it?

yes I am using mif v2, so I need to use brew sdk v1.1? and ADS v 1.2 can support it?

When developing for a 1.1 handset (as is the moto T720) you need to use the 1.1 SDK. Sometimes it is beneficial for you to run your app on the 2.0 emulator, or add license information to your mif using the 2.0 emulator ( but saved as a 1.x mif file). You should however always maintain a 1.1 only version of your files (mif, mod, ext) and run on the device with these files. Please try regenerating the sig file, create a new mif file using only the 1.1 mif editor, rebuild your application using 1.1 headers and source, then reload your application.
If the files persist on the device after you have rebooted it and/or you are able to load your application to the device then it should not be a test enabled issue. Sig file error codes can be checked against in AEEerror.h file included in the /inc dir of the SDK.
The ARM ADS versions 1.0.1, 1.1, and 1.2 are all supported and will not cause your application any hardships.

When developing for a 1.1 handset (as is the moto T720) you need to use the 1.1 SDK. Sometimes it is beneficial for you to run your app on the 2.0 emulator, or add license information to your mif using the 2.0 emulator ( but saved as a 1.x mif file). You should however always maintain a 1.1 only version of your files (mif, mod, ext) and run on the device with these files. Please try regenerating the sig file, create a new mif file using only the 1.1 mif editor, rebuild your application using 1.1 headers and source, then reload your application.
If the files persist on the device after you have rebooted it and/or you are able to load your application to the device then it should not be a test enabled issue. Sig file error codes can be checked against in AEEerror.h file included in the /inc dir of the SDK.
The ARM ADS versions 1.0.1, 1.1, and 1.2 are all supported and will not cause your application any hardships.

Thanks Kevin, I already tried what you have said and it worked, now what I need to do now is to convert all my PNG files into Bitmaps because the phone does not support PNGs, I also want to ask if there is a way for me to decrease the size of the images that i used, when in PNG the size of one image is almost 7K but when converted in BMP it increases to 20K, is there another format with smaller file size that i can use that is also supported by t720 or any other phones?
Thanks Jason

Thanks Kevin, I already tried what you have said and it worked, now what I need to do now is to convert all my PNG files into Bitmaps because the phone does not support PNGs, I also want to ask if there is a way for me to decrease the size of the images that i used, when in PNG the size of one image is almost 7K but when converted in BMP it increases to 20K, is there another format with smaller file size that i can use that is also supported by t720 or any other phones?
Thanks Jason

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the softkeys of MotT720.
1. Is there a way to change the softkey text "SELECT" and "BACK/CLEAR" into something like "PAUSE" and "EXIT"? Is it posible to do it alternately on within a certain period of time/depending on the level of the game?
2. We followed the specification of BREW 1.1 for using AVK_CLEAR, but VC6 compiler sends us an error that it is not declared somewhere, do we have to manually declare that AVK_CLEAR constant?
3. Is it also posible to make the "SELECT" and "CLEAR/BACK" softkey not visible on some portion of the application? or create an alternate softkey menu for replacement to the default softkeys?
4. We didn't saw any keycodes equivalent to puase, (e.g. AVK_PAUSE), is it really not supported on any brew handsets?
how can we implement pause keypress?
Thanks!

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding the softkeys of MotT720.
1. Is there a way to change the softkey text "SELECT" and "BACK/CLEAR" into something like "PAUSE" and "EXIT"? Is it posible to do it alternately on within a certain period of time/depending on the level of the game?
2. We followed the specification of BREW 1.1 for using AVK_CLEAR, but VC6 compiler sends us an error that it is not declared somewhere, do we have to manually declare that AVK_CLEAR constant?
3. Is it also posible to make the "SELECT" and "CLEAR/BACK" softkey not visible on some portion of the application? or create an alternate softkey menu for replacement to the default softkeys?
4. We didn't saw any keycodes equivalent to puase, (e.g. AVK_PAUSE), is it really not supported on any brew handsets?
how can we implement pause keypress?
Thanks!

putek20:
The t720 supports gif images, however the emulator does not, so you cannot test your gif images on the emulator, but they will work on the device..
as to your other questions:
1&3: the softkey text area is not accessible from brew.. in other words, the back and select buttons at the bottom of the screen can not be modified or removed.. I have no idea what idiot decided this, it makes no sense. The java version of the t720 lets you access the entire screen.
2. I think you want AVK_CLR, not AVK_CLEAR
4. if you want pause, just have your event handler implement your pause functionality for whatever button you want to use as pause.
-Tyndal

putek20:
The t720 supports gif images, however the emulator does not, so you cannot test your gif images on the emulator, but they will work on the device..
as to your other questions:
1&3: the softkey text area is not accessible from brew.. in other words, the back and select buttons at the bottom of the screen can not be modified or removed.. I have no idea what idiot decided this, it makes no sense. The java version of the t720 lets you access the entire screen.
2. I think you want AVK_CLR, not AVK_CLEAR
4. if you want pause, just have your event handler implement your pause functionality for whatever button you want to use as pause.
-Tyndal

tyndal thanks for you reply, hey guys i have a question about threading, can you create a game where you use threads? in BREW SDK v1.1, You I want the game to be real time, meaning the opponent makes an action while I'm doing an action, is this possible in BREW v1.1?

tyndal thanks for you reply, hey guys i have a question about threading, can you create a game where you use threads? in BREW SDK v1.1, You I want the game to be real time, meaning the opponent makes an action while I'm doing an action, is this possible in BREW v1.1?

BREW doesnt support multi threading concepts. It does support co-operative multi tasking.

BREW doesnt support multi threading concepts. It does support co-operative multi tasking.

Quote:Originally posted by tyndal
2) do you mean the icons you defined for your application in the .mif file? if so, the "icon" setting on the main mif editor window is only used for the copyright dialog (I think), to set the icons on the application manager (where you select your application) click the "Advanced" button and choose images for "Image" and "Thumbnail Image" from that window. [/B]
I realized today something I want to clarify.
On the EMULATOR:
- Icon is only used when you call ISHELL_ShowCopyright()
- Image is the Large image on the application menu
- Thumbnail Image is the small image at the bottom of the application menu screen.
On the PHONE:
(This probably varys by phone, but at least on the T720 and LG VX4400)
- Icon as the image displayed on the application menu, and ISHELL_ShowCopyright.
- Image and Thumbnail Image dont appear to be used.
I also have a Toshiba A5304T (japanese) phone, and on it, you can change the style of the application menu to: large icons, small icons, or list. It appears that Image, Thumbnail Image, and Icon will be used depending on which style you choose.

Quote:Originally posted by tyndal
2) do you mean the icons you defined for your application in the .mif file? if so, the "icon" setting on the main mif editor window is only used for the copyright dialog (I think), to set the icons on the application manager (where you select your application) click the "Advanced" button and choose images for "Image" and "Thumbnail Image" from that window. [/B]
I realized today something I want to clarify.
On the EMULATOR:
- Icon is only used when you call ISHELL_ShowCopyright()
- Image is the Large image on the application menu
- Thumbnail Image is the small image at the bottom of the application menu screen.
On the PHONE:
(This probably varys by phone, but at least on the T720 and LG VX4400)
- Icon as the image displayed on the application menu, and ISHELL_ShowCopyright.
- Image and Thumbnail Image dont appear to be used.
I also have a Toshiba A5304T (japanese) phone, and on it, you can change the style of the application menu to: large icons, small icons, or list. It appears that Image, Thumbnail Image, and Icon will be used depending on which style you choose.