Forums | developer.brewmp.com Forums | developer.brewmp.com

Developer

Forums

Forums:

I could use some pointers in where to start tracking down a behavior I am seeing.

I have a T720 that I am trying to show some images on.
I am using IImage and want to use GIF because I have a lot of images that have to be displayed.

I have tried both 8 bit BMPs and 8 bit GIFs.
The GIFs ALWAYS show up with less quality than the BMPs.

Anyone know why?????

thats obvious because GIFs take less memory ... so quality will not be the same. :D
- RR

thats obvious because GIFs take less memory ... so quality will not be the same. :D
- RR

On devices that support PNG I haven't noticed the lack of quality...

On devices that support PNG I haven't noticed the lack of quality...

Quote:thats obvious because GIFs take less memory ... so quality will not be the same.
You are totally wrong. GIF is a loseless compression format.

Quote:thats obvious because GIFs take less memory ... so quality will not be the same.
You are totally wrong. GIF is a loseless compression format.

The quality may be wrong if the device try to do some dithering while decompressing, not sure on how it is on the t720

The quality may be wrong if the device try to do some dithering while decompressing, not sure on how it is on the t720

All I know is that my graphics guy is about as stumped as I am at the moment.
Any idea of things I should look at more closely kufa?

All I know is that my graphics guy is about as stumped as I am at the moment.
Any idea of things I should look at more closely kufa?

Even if i have alot of images in my games, i decided to use bmp (mostly for compatibility reasons).
Using gif may reduce the size, but you will have longer loading time and need more memory (for the loading process).
What do you mean with "less quality"? If there is a dithering, you cannot do anything about it, or i dont know how to handle this. Maybe the "best" way would be to make your own gif/png decruncher?
/kUfa

Even if i have alot of images in my games, i decided to use bmp (mostly for compatibility reasons).
Using gif may reduce the size, but you will have longer loading time and need more memory (for the loading process).
What do you mean with "less quality"? If there is a dithering, you cannot do anything about it, or i dont know how to handle this. Maybe the "best" way would be to make your own gif/png decruncher?
/kUfa

May have to see if I can do something like that.
I can't really use BMPs unfortunately because a lot of these images are dynamically fed from a server and I really need to cut down the size of the transfers due to download times and to reduce the cost associated with those downloads.

May have to see if I can do something like that.
I can't really use BMPs unfortunately because a lot of these images are dynamically fed from a server and I really need to cut down the size of the transfers due to download times and to reduce the cost associated with those downloads.