Forums | developer.brewmp.com Forums | developer.brewmp.com

Developer

Forums

Forums:

Hi All,

I have a simple application which will make http GET request using IWeb interface. This application works fine with Brew 3.1.2 Simulator. But the same doesn’t work in my device (Motorola RAZR V3c). This device is enabled with GPRS. Using built in browser; I am able to browse to the url that I am using in my application. But I am getting WEB_ERROR_CONNECT in my application.

Anybody know why this is happening in my device? Please help.

Regards,
tuma

Umapathy wrote:Hi All,
I have a simple application which will make http GET request using IWeb interface. This application works fine with Brew 3.1.2 Simulator. But the same doesn’t work in my device (Motorola RAZR V3c). This device is enabled with GPRS. Using built in browser; I am able to browse to the url that I am using in my application. But I am getting WEB_ERROR_CONNECT in my application.
Regards,
tuma
You've got a V3C that is GPRS enabled *and* BREW enabled? I want to say "no such animal". At least commercially - I guess it's possible in a pre-commercial. What network are you on??
IWEB certainly works on the V3C on my application, and I suspect a whole bunch of other people's applications. The V3C is one of, if not the most, popular handset out there. You might want to make your thread title a bit more specific.

Umapathy wrote:Hi All,
Regards,
tuma
You've got a V3C that is GPRS enabled *and* BREW enabled? I want to say "no such animal". At least commercially - I guess it's possible in a pre-commercial. What network are you on??
IWEB certainly works on the V3C on my application, and I suspect a whole bunch of other people's applications. The V3C is one of, if not the most, popular handset out there. You might want to make your thread title a bit more specific.

Hi,
i am also getting the same error with razr V3c though its working fine with emulator and m also able to check whether v3c cn connect to d url, using device browser , m providing .Device displays d file whn i connect through device's browser bt nt through my code.I m gttng 1289 i.e WEB_ERROR_CONNECT.
Pleez reply ASAP.
Thnx.

Hi,
i am also getting the same error with razr V3c though its working fine with emulator and m also able to check whether v3c cn connect to d url, using device browser , m providing .Device displays d file whn i connect through device's browser bt nt through my code.I m gttng 1289 i.e WEB_ERROR_CONNECT.
Pleez reply ASAP.
Thnx.

you need to checkout weather your service provider is allowing you make an http connection through ur brew application, ie weather ur able to connect to ur public ip..

you need to checkout weather your service provider is allowing you make an http connection through ur brew application, ie weather ur able to connect to ur public ip..

Hi,
Thanks Manju bt i wanna know about DNS settings cn u pleez guide me about dat?
As in my organization net connections passes thru firewall so wht code should i add to overcome dat?As i m gttng some DNS value in logger....n 1 more thng my device can connect to d same url through openwave browser...
Pleez guide...
Thnx.

Hi,
Thanks Manju bt i wanna know about DNS settings cn u pleez guide me about dat?
As in my organization net connections passes thru firewall so wht code should i add to overcome dat?As i m gttng some DNS value in logger....n 1 more thng my device can connect to d same url through openwave browser...
Pleez guide...
Thnx.

As in my organization net connections passes thru firewall so wht code should i add to overcome dat?As i m gttng some DNS value in logger....n
wat is da value ur getting if it is -1289 then it can be either network error or
ur server is not supporting da service..
actually if ur service provider is indicom then u have to get permission from them to hit ur ip,they will be having firewalls through which ur req will goto da server, so it shuld be opened by any means...
1 more thng my device can connect to d same url through openwave browser...
Pleez guide...
openwave browser is mobiles default webbrowser so it will be having acccess permissions to hit any public ip..

As in my organization net connections passes thru firewall so wht code should i add to overcome dat?As i m gttng some DNS value in logger....n
wat is da value ur getting if it is -1289 then it can be either network error or
ur server is not supporting da service..
actually if ur service provider is indicom then u have to get permission from them to hit ur ip,they will be having firewalls through which ur req will goto da server, so it shuld be opened by any means...
1 more thng my device can connect to d same url through openwave browser...
Pleez guide...
openwave browser is mobiles default webbrowser so it will be having acccess permissions to hit any public ip..

Hi,
cn u tell me whether for test purpose too v need to ask to d operator to giv d permission?as i dont know about such thing....
n yup m gttng 1289....errror...so is it coz indicomm has not gvn permission to access d public server?
Thnx a lot for such a quick response...

Hi,
cn u tell me whether for test purpose too v need to ask to d operator to giv d permission?as i dont know about such thing....
n yup m gttng 1289....errror...so is it coz indicomm has not gvn permission to access d public server?
Thnx a lot for such a quick response...

even we were facing da same problem earlier, we took sme help from qualcomm people to solve, and u need to get permission to make any kind of http or socket conn thru brew appl in ur phne

even we were facing da same problem earlier, we took sme help from qualcomm people to solve, and u need to get permission to make any kind of http or socket conn thru brew appl in ur phne

Thnx a lot for showing such a gr8 patience and interest.....
n guiding about a topic...
thnx... :)

Thnx a lot for showing such a gr8 patience and interest.....
n guiding about a topic...
thnx... :)

In a web browser, the client(Application) send the request url using
user ID: brewuser and password: brewuser and the url will be the client server IP which is opened in the operator network firewall, so the request reaches to the client server and from there the server will pick the requested page from the internet and send back it to the client.
This is the reason why browser can browse the public IP on the internet even though the phone IP has an private IP which can't access public IP's (Internet).
As the operator network is an private network, any public IP address will be blocked(unless that specific IP address is opened in the firewall) by the operator network firewall.
If we use USER ID: internet and PASSWORD : internet, then an public IP will be assigned to the mobile and it can access the internet directly but you can't access any private IP of the operator network. Using Application you can't change the USER ID and PASSWORD.
If the mobile is an test enabled, On many devices you can change these parameters by entering the BREW debug screen code and then by going into brew settings.
For motorola V3C , K1M and L7C you can only change these parameters by using motorola phone tools(not available in public domain). :)

In a web browser, the client(Application) send the request url using
user ID: brewuser and password: brewuser and the url will be the client server IP which is opened in the operator network firewall, so the request reaches to the client server and from there the server will pick the requested page from the internet and send back it to the client.
This is the reason why browser can browse the public IP on the internet even though the phone IP has an private IP which can't access public IP's (Internet).
As the operator network is an private network, any public IP address will be blocked(unless that specific IP address is opened in the firewall) by the operator network firewall.
If we use USER ID: internet and PASSWORD : internet, then an public IP will be assigned to the mobile and it can access the internet directly but you can't access any private IP of the operator network. Using Application you can't change the USER ID and PASSWORD.
If the mobile is an test enabled, On many devices you can change these parameters by entering the BREW debug screen code and then by going into brew settings.
For motorola V3C , K1M and L7C you can only change these parameters by using motorola phone tools(not available in public domain). :)

Brewin wrote:
can u help in this or anyone
im using Moto v3c(on tata) im able to enter debug screen but not able to find the above mentioned brew settings, can u help me in changing these settings??
im doing an streaming app in which i need to access diff streaming sources from various part, so i cannot give any one particular ip to be white listed, any help would be greatly appreciated..
thanks,
manju

Brewin wrote:
can u help in this or anyone
im using Moto v3c(on tata) im able to enter debug screen but not able to find the above mentioned brew settings, can u help me in changing these settings??
im doing an streaming app in which i need to access diff streaming sources from various part, so i cannot give any one particular ip to be white listed, any help would be greatly appreciated..
thanks,
manju

Hi Manju,
Try using the netdiagnostics tool to ping the server you are trying to reach.
Generally handsets with browsers, should not have restrictions to which ip you try to connect to.
Also, the settings for test enabled, do not map to the 'hidden' settings. These parameters are configured via service programming and I dont' suppose they relate to brew test-enabled flag/param.
Generally, you should be able to ping or get data from any website.
If you face further problems, you should check with the service provider/operator about the data settings for the connection.
HTH!
-Ashwini

Hi Manju,
Generally handsets with browsers, should not have restrictions to which ip you try to connect to.
Also, the settings for test enabled, do not map to the 'hidden' settings. These parameters are configured via service programming and I dont' suppose they relate to brew test-enabled flag/param.
If you face further problems, you should check with the service provider/operator about the data settings for the connection.
HTH!
-Ashwini

ash_123 wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply,
netdiagnostic dosent help me it gives the same error -1289 to which ever server which is not been whitelisted by operator
ash_123 wrote:
do u mean to say handset with browsers can access any ip which are not whitelisted by operators, i have worked on several app for indian cdma operators. every time we ask them to whitelist our ip for testing
with browser u can hit any ip not with brew appl unless they(operator) allow u
ash_123 wrote:
HTH!
-Ashwini
as in above post brewin was saying and i know some one of operator change these setting for me when i started working for brew,but dint give it publicly to us.
and my req is to stream music from several urls and only way is to bypass the operator firewall which is blocking to do so..

ash_123 wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply,
netdiagnostic dosent help me it gives the same error -1289 to which ever server which is not been whitelisted by operator
ash_123 wrote:
do u mean to say handset with browsers can access any ip which are not whitelisted by operators, i have worked on several app for indian cdma operators. every time we ask them to whitelist our ip for testing
with browser u can hit any ip not with brew appl unless they(operator) allow u
ash_123 wrote:
HTH!
-Ashwini
as in above post brewin was saying and i know some one of operator change these setting for me when i started working for brew,but dint give it publicly to us.
and my req is to stream music from several urls and only way is to bypass the operator firewall which is blocking to do so..

In this situation, you'd need to get your handset updated with the internet settigns. These are basically to authenticate the device when it connects to hte server. That should resolve the 1289 error.
In case of white listing the ips, you can probably talk with them if possible. Its silly though that they provide a browser which cannot access websites which they dont' allow. Wonder if that's the case with GSM as well.
Finally whichever operator the app is deployed will have to provide access to these ips.

In this situation, you'd need to get your handset updated with the internet settigns. These are basically to authenticate the device when it connects to hte server. That should resolve the 1289 error.
In case of white listing the ips, you can probably talk with them if possible. Its silly though that they provide a browser which cannot access websites which they dont' allow. Wonder if that's the case with GSM as well.
Finally whichever operator the app is deployed will have to provide access to these ips.

ash_123 wrote:In this situation, you'd need to get your handset updated with the internet settigns. These are basically to authenticate the device when it connects to hte server. That should resolve the 1289 error.
yes it shuld be updated to internet settings, but dunno how??
ash_123 wrote:
nooo, i think u got me wrong, see basically mobile native browser can access any ip but not brew application. reason--> please read brewins post in the same thread.
Certainly not the case with GSM..

ash_123 wrote:In this situation, you'd need to get your handset updated with the internet settigns. These are basically to authenticate the device when it connects to hte server. That should resolve the 1289 error.
yes it shuld be updated to internet settings, but dunno how??
ash_123 wrote:
nooo, i think u got me wrong, see basically mobile native browser can access any ip but not brew application. reason--> please read brewins post in the same thread.
Certainly not the case with GSM..

It is your phone firmware blocks the request from your application. Contact qualcom and get their help. they can update the phone firmware to allow thirdparty applications to access internet.
Alternatively you can use Brewin's suggestion in this thread.

It is your phone firmware blocks the request from your application. Contact qualcom and get their help. they can update the phone firmware to allow thirdparty applications to access internet.

Umapathy wrote:It is your phone firmware blocks the request from your application. Contact qualcom and get their help. they can update the phone firmware to allow thirdparty applications to access internet.
hmmm,
yeah but i doubt its the firmware/operator blocking it, but i remember in the past some one of qualcomm did the work for us but he dint share the problem and solution and i was in the impression that the operator firewall blocks it from accessing.
have to contact qualcomm and c other options available.
brewins suggestion im unable to do, do u have any idean,can u write down the steps to do so here??

Umapathy wrote:It is your phone firmware blocks the request from your application. Contact qualcom and get their help. they can update the phone firmware to allow thirdparty applications to access internet.
hmmm,
yeah but i doubt its the firmware/operator blocking it, but i remember in the past some one of qualcomm did the work for us but he dint share the problem and solution and i was in the impression that the operator firewall blocks it from accessing.
have to contact qualcomm and c other options available.
brewins suggestion im unable to do, do u have any idean,can u write down the steps to do so here??

Connect your PC into the operators network using the device like USB Data card and with the userid and password that is given Brewin's message. If you do so, your system will be in the operators network (you will get private IP) and then you can connect to this system from the mobile phone. You may configure web server in this machine and test your mobile application.

Connect your PC into the operators network using the device like USB Data card and with the userid and password that is given Brewin's message. If you do so, your system will be in the operators network (you will get private IP) and then you can connect to this system from the mobile phone. You may configure web server in this machine and test your mobile application.

Hi ash/oceans/brewin,
how to turn on brew debug mode on moto v3c.
i tried ###BREWDEBUG#/###273933284# but dint help me to enter brew debug mode.
what is the debug sequence?? pls help...
how to enter into brewdebug screen for moto v3c??
i need to enter into brew debug screen to change profile to internet in order to access any public ips,im stuck here for days..

Hi ash/oceans/brewin,
i need to enter into brew debug screen to change profile to internet in order to access any public ips,im stuck here for days..

mk.manju wrote:
###273933284# is the default key code for entering debug message screen.. but OEM's might change this. Contact the OEM to get the code for entering into debug screen..

mk.manju wrote:
###273933284# is the default key code for entering debug message screen.. but OEM's might change this. Contact the OEM to get the code for entering into debug screen..

That is the proper sequence, but you will probably need to do it after launching app manager / mshop where you see the list of apps.
Then it should work ideally.. showing you the 'BREW debug mode on' on the annunciator.
it does work on the v3m we have.

That is the proper sequence, but you will probably need to do it after launching app manager / mshop where you see the list of apps.
Then it should work ideally.. showing you the 'BREW debug mode on' on the annunciator.

ash_123 wrote:That is the proper sequence, but you will probably need to do it after launching app manager / mshop where you see the list of apps.
thanks you very much..
it works perfectly as u said(showing the 'BREW debug mode on' on the annunciator.), but my req is different.
ie after turning to the brew debug screen i need to find v3c profile where i can update profile to internet setting.
ie v3c profile to username:internet password:internet(default it uses username:brewuser password:brewuser.)
by doing this i can access all public ip's.
im not able to find the above settings, can u help me to change these parameters??
do u have any idea?
alsoo is this the very same place i need to do those changes or im in wrong place??

ash_123 wrote:That is the proper sequence, but you will probably need to do it after launching app manager / mshop where you see the list of apps.
thanks you very much..
it works perfectly as u said(showing the 'BREW debug mode on' on the annunciator.), but my req is different.
ie after turning to the brew debug screen i need to find v3c profile where i can update profile to internet setting.
ie v3c profile to username:internet password:internet(default it uses username:brewuser password:brewuser.)
by doing this i can access all public ip's.
im not able to find the above settings, can u help me to change these parameters??
do u have any idea?
alsoo is this the very same place i need to do those changes or im in wrong place??

Well. for that you need to get it done from the operator customer service. you can call them up and ask. Say that you need to browse internet on your handset, how can you configure it.
These settings are usually disabled when the phone is released in the market and can only be done through proprietary software which should definitely be there with the customer service of the operator.
BTW which operator is this ?
If you have contact with handset OEM, you can check with them too.

Well. for that you need to get it done from the operator customer service. you can call them up and ask. Say that you need to browse internet on your handset, how can you configure it.
These settings are usually disabled when the phone is released in the market and can only be done through proprietary software which should definitely be there with the customer service of the operator.

ash_123 wrote:Well. for that you need to get it done from the operator customer service. you can call them up and ask. Say that you need to browse internet on your handset, how can you configure it.
operator customer service??
that would be the case when internet on the device is disabled likwise in gsm to get gprs settings, here browser is able to connect??
or is it some kind of as said in above post, they(oem) have blocked third party appl from accessing internet,unlike browser can..
im on TATA network
i dunt have contact with OEM,so no luck..
the issue in past was solved by a qcomm person but dint give me the resolution openly, im blind at this issue...
im running out of time for this proj testing(i ported first to brew,but now way behind others), all the other platforms are easy going. they dunt have any such limitation...
my management is getting mad at me, im not able to address this issue properly...
Please someone educate me on this??

ash_123 wrote:Well. for that you need to get it done from the operator customer service. you can call them up and ask. Say that you need to browse internet on your handset, how can you configure it.
operator customer service??
that would be the case when internet on the device is disabled likwise in gsm to get gprs settings, here browser is able to connect??
or is it some kind of as said in above post, they(oem) have blocked third party appl from accessing internet,unlike browser can..
im on TATA network
i dunt have contact with OEM,so no luck..
the issue in past was solved by a qcomm person but dint give me the resolution openly, im blind at this issue...
im running out of time for this proj testing(i ported first to brew,but now way behind others), all the other platforms are easy going. they dunt have any such limitation...
my management is getting mad at me, im not able to address this issue properly...
Please someone educate me on this??

Brewin wrote:In a web browser, the client(Application) send the request url using
I still don't get it.
- who sends this username/passwd - the app? or BREW internally sends this when the IWEB interface is used?
- Is a different username/passwd sent when you use IWEB and when Browser app is being used?
- Is there a wireshark equivalent for a brew device so that we can know what "server" url is being used by the browser that it connects to and passed the actual url to open/. so that we can start using the same "server" url?
- if wireshark is not available, is there a way to route the network traffic via PC (something similar to gnubox for brew) so that we can use wireshark on the pc?
anyone from support, please guys help me??

Brewin wrote:In a web browser, the client(Application) send the request url using
I still don't get it.
- who sends this username/passwd - the app? or BREW internally sends this when the IWEB interface is used?
- Is a different username/passwd sent when you use IWEB and when Browser app is being used?
- Is there a wireshark equivalent for a brew device so that we can know what "server" url is being used by the browser that it connects to and passed the actual url to open/. so that we can start using the same "server" url?
- if wireshark is not available, is there a way to route the network traffic via PC (something similar to gnubox for brew) so that we can use wireshark on the pc?
anyone from support, please guys help me??

Is the browser able to connect ? are you able to browse websites ? See basically the gprs like settings you are looking for are in the settings on the phone which are not visible to the end user. They can be seen through the s/w available with the Operator, which is tata indicom.
Well if you discuss the issue with the operator they should sort it out. or try contacting Qualcomm and see if they can help you out.
BTW on how many brew handsets are you trying this ?

Is the browser able to connect ? are you able to browse websites ? See basically the gprs like settings you are looking for are in the settings on the phone which are not visible to the end user. They can be seen through the s/w available with the Operator, which is tata indicom.
Well if you discuss the issue with the operator they should sort it out. or try contacting Qualcomm and see if they can help you out.

ash_123 wrote:Is the browser able to connect ? are you able to browse websites ? See basically the gprs like settings you are looking for are in the settings on the phone which are not visible to the end user. They can be seen through the s/w available with the Operator, which is tata indicom.
yes, browser able to connect and browse websites..
As my understanding goes browser uses in its url request user ID: brewuser and password: brewuser, using this it first connects to a intermediate server which is whitelisted(ie unblocked) by the operator firewall and this server does the rest by bringing the page back to the browser from internet.
Iweb.It just tries to connect the default network which is being selected.
(but in our case ip is blocked at operators firewall.no intermediate whitelisted server to act as proxy).
that is where the problem lies...
yes hopefully qcomm people should give the resolution,im trying to contact them to get my device updated to internet profile.
its same case in india across all the handsets/operators.
i would like to know if this the case as well in other places, do operators block to browse internet through our applications unless there is a centralised server(whitelisted by operator) and does the job for us, has anyone able to deploy a streaming application which can stream music from many sources?? i doubt this can happen in india unless we have blessings from operator!!

ash_123 wrote:Is the browser able to connect ? are you able to browse websites ? See basically the gprs like settings you are looking for are in the settings on the phone which are not visible to the end user. They can be seen through the s/w available with the Operator, which is tata indicom.
yes, browser able to connect and browse websites..
As my understanding goes browser uses in its url request user ID: brewuser and password: brewuser, using this it first connects to a intermediate server which is whitelisted(ie unblocked) by the operator firewall and this server does the rest by bringing the page back to the browser from internet.
Iweb.It just tries to connect the default network which is being selected.
(but in our case ip is blocked at operators firewall.no intermediate whitelisted server to act as proxy).
that is where the problem lies...
yes hopefully qcomm people should give the resolution,im trying to contact them to get my device updated to internet profile.
its same case in india across all the handsets/operators.
i would like to know if this the case as well in other places, do operators block to browse internet through our applications unless there is a centralised server(whitelisted by operator) and does the job for us, has anyone able to deploy a streaming application which can stream music from many sources?? i doubt this can happen in india unless we have blessings from operator!!

Hi Manju,
I think the issue you are describing is very similar to what I faced with Reliance handset Motorola V3M. When we bought it and put the sig file onto it along with the rest of the stuff (mif, mod, bar), it worked and actually connected to our server with public IP (and we didnt have any special arrangement with them). But once the phone crashed and wasnt booting so we had to send it back to the service station and when it arrived back, it was in a similar state as you have mentioned, ie, the phone browser was able to browse our public IP website, but your BREW app was not able to connect. Then we sent it back to the service station, specifying this very fact and then when it came back, our app started working fine.
So, I suggest you go to some tata indicom hub/showroom and tell them the problem you are facing, dont tell them that you are testing software on it. Just tell them you have an application which is not able to login to a website which is opening without problem in the phone's browser. They should be able to fix it.
Do, let us know if and when your problem gets resolved and how you did it.
Good Luck.

Hi Manju,
I think the issue you are describing is very similar to what I faced with Reliance handset Motorola V3M. When we bought it and put the sig file onto it along with the rest of the stuff (mif, mod, bar), it worked and actually connected to our server with public IP (and we didnt have any special arrangement with them). But once the phone crashed and wasnt booting so we had to send it back to the service station and when it arrived back, it was in a similar state as you have mentioned, ie, the phone browser was able to browse our public IP website, but your BREW app was not able to connect. Then we sent it back to the service station, specifying this very fact and then when it came back, our app started working fine.
So, I suggest you go to some tata indicom hub/showroom and tell them the problem you are facing, dont tell them that you are testing software on it. Just tell them you have an application which is not able to login to a website which is opening without problem in the phone's browser. They should be able to fix it.
Do, let us know if and when your problem gets resolved and how you did it.
Good Luck.