Forums | developer.brewmp.com Forums | developer.brewmp.com

Developer

Forums

Forums:

This morning I claimed the life of a CDM-8900 device. I've seen this referred to as "bricking the phone" in other threads. I'm not entirely sure why it died but using the AppLoader (v2.1.1.3) I tried to create a directory on the device, but the directory did not appear. Then I tried to load a module to the device, and the device resetted during the transfer, an error about being unable to write to the EFS appeared on the AppLoader and now the device is broken. The weird thing is that I didn't even have an app running, I was just trying to xfer an app. My 8900 will no longer boot, instead it shows a verizon logo and then a white screen with the following black text "Please wait, User data is being restore....[7]." Then it reboots and performs the same behavior endlessly.

Is there anybody out there that can recommend a course of action to recover devices in this state? It seems that the local stores can't re-flash devices, and I sent a previously bricked unit (Samsung A530) to Qualcomm and they sent it back saying that the device was beyond their help. Thanks.

Create a looping script to uninstall the module you tried to install,
and leave the loop running until it hits the magic timing window
immediately after a reboot when the handset is responsive.
Eventually it will probably succeed.
Most of the time when a handset seems bricked,
it's not unrecoverable.
The only problem is that the CDM-8900 is such a little speed demon,
that timing window is very short. The above technique works
really well on a VX6000 though; averages just a few minutes
to un-brick.
Regards,

Create a looping script to uninstall the module you tried to install,
and leave the loop running until it hits the magic timing window
immediately after a reboot when the handset is responsive.
Eventually it will probably succeed.
Most of the time when a handset seems bricked,
it's not unrecoverable.
The only problem is that the CDM-8900 is such a little speed demon,
that timing window is very short. The above technique works
really well on a VX6000 though; averages just a few minutes
to un-brick.
Regards,

Can anyone explain the looping script and how to get it into the device as the device doesn't even give a chance for the Apploader to get connect to it.
can u explain me more detailedly.... so I can unbrick my 4400.

Can anyone explain the looping script and how to get it into the device as the device doesn't even give a chance for the Apploader to get connect to it.
can u explain me more detailedly.... so I can unbrick my 4400.

I would love to have that script seberline, I just bricked my VX-6000 yesterday :mad:.
Help!

I would love to have that script seberline, I just bricked my VX-6000 yesterday :mad:.
Help!

Likewise, I can't connect with the apploader, nor even the USB driver.
Super-bricked my VX-6000. :mad:

Likewise, I can't connect with the apploader, nor even the USB driver.
Super-bricked my VX-6000. :mad:

The script runs on your PC, not on the phone.
I use bash for shell scripting,
but you could write a trivial Windows batch file to do it.
Something like:
--
:AGAIN
BREWAppLoader QCOMOEM COM7 -d your_module
goto :AGAIN
--
When your handset stops rebooting,
you can kill the script from the Windows task manager.
Regards,

The script runs on your PC, not on the phone.
I use bash for shell scripting,
but you could write a trivial Windows batch file to do it.
Something like:
--
:AGAIN
BREWAppLoader QCOMOEM COM7 -d your_module
goto :AGAIN
--
When your handset stops rebooting,
you can kill the script from the Windows task manager.
Regards,

It was worth a try, I tried letting it run for an hour. Thanks anyway!

It was worth a try, I tried letting it run for an hour. Thanks anyway!

Ah well, like you said yourself, your VX6000 wasn't just bricked but super-bricked. :)
Sorry it didn't work this time, but keep it in mind for the future.
Regards,

Ah well, like you said yourself, your VX6000 wasn't just bricked but super-bricked. :)
Sorry it didn't work this time, but keep it in mind for the future.
Regards,

Personally though, I'd let it run overnight before giving up.
I had the method fail on a SCH-A530 once, but if ever a phone was super-bricked, that was it.
Qualcomm couldn't even reflash it, so we had to get a new handset.
And like I said earlier, the CDM-8900 seems just too fast to have a chance;
I never try a new build on a CDM-8900 without first trying on a VX6000.
Regards,

Personally though, I'd let it run overnight before giving up.
I had the method fail on a SCH-A530 once, but if ever a phone was super-bricked, that was it.
Qualcomm couldn't even reflash it, so we had to get a new handset.
And like I said earlier, the CDM-8900 seems just too fast to have a chance;
I never try a new build on a CDM-8900 without first trying on a VX6000.
Regards,

This is brilliant! I killed 3 phones with the shell_init and a crash in the start up code and with this procedure I've managed to recover all three! I was just about to send the phones to Qualcomm and on a desperate last resort I scan through the forum again and whola I found this post. You are a life saver! Big Big thanks to you! :)

This is brilliant! I killed 3 phones with the shell_init and a crash in the start up code and with this procedure I've managed to recover all three! I was just about to send the phones to Qualcomm and on a desperate last resort I scan through the forum again and whola I found this post. You are a life saver! Big Big thanks to you! :)