Forums | developer.brewmp.com Forums | developer.brewmp.com

Developer

Forums

Forums:

Hi,

I have been developing a game on the T720 using BREW 1.1. Unfortunately, I have not yet received the device and I cannot measure performance. However, in the device files (which were available for download from the BREW site), there was a speed emulation config file under the directory 't720v2.0'. I modified this file and am using this as the speed emulation config file for the 1.1 emulator.

I found that rectangle drawing can be very slow. I just wanted to know how accurate speed emulation is to the actual device particuarly - the T720.

I am particularly skeptical because the optimised version(Chaper 19) of the example Game "Attack of the Flarb" runs much slower than the original(Chapter 14) from the book "Wireless Game development in C/C++ with BREW" by Ralph Barbagallo. In fact its slow enough to be unplayable. I assume that the speed emulation does not handle BitBlts properly.

Thanks in advance,
Roshan

Heh--wow, I never tried using the speed emulation when I wrote that. Who knew it would actually run slower?!
In my latest game on the T720 I am maybe drawing a full-screen to a half-screen's worth of pixels every frame and I think I get around 7 fps or so. If that's any help. There's no way the emulator's performance thing will be very accurate as it does not accurately emulate the device's hardware or software for that matter. I think it just puts in some arbitrary delay code for certain operations. But I can't be certain of that.
However, I have noticed that the T720 is actually pretty slow at drawing geometry (squares, lines, etc.) Slower than some other handsets.
Geometric shapes are weird--some phones such as the LGVX4400 are extremely fast with them, others are way slower. So your mileage may vary with that dirty rectangles operation.

Heh--wow, I never tried using the speed emulation when I wrote that. Who knew it would actually run slower?!
In my latest game on the T720 I am maybe drawing a full-screen to a half-screen's worth of pixels every frame and I think I get around 7 fps or so. If that's any help. There's no way the emulator's performance thing will be very accurate as it does not accurately emulate the device's hardware or software for that matter. I think it just puts in some arbitrary delay code for certain operations. But I can't be certain of that.
However, I have noticed that the T720 is actually pretty slow at drawing geometry (squares, lines, etc.) Slower than some other handsets.
Geometric shapes are weird--some phones such as the LGVX4400 are extremely fast with them, others are way slower. So your mileage may vary with that dirty rectangles operation.

Hmm...interesting. With speed emulation, IDISPLAY_FillRect for approximately the whole screen takes about 100ms. I guess I'll have to wait for the actual device for time measurements.
Also as in
http://brewforums.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=597&perpage=15...
I noticed that using IGRAPHICS_xxx takes ages to draw.
Thanks anyway. And the book is awesome....it helped me a lot.
Roshan

Hmm...interesting. With speed emulation, IDISPLAY_FillRect for approximately the whole screen takes about 100ms. I guess I'll have to wait for the actual device for time measurements.
Also as in
http://brewforums.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=597&perpage=15...
I noticed that using IGRAPHICS_xxx takes ages to draw.
Thanks anyway. And the book is awesome....it helped me a lot.
Roshan

An update:
I finally received the T720 handset and tested my app on the device. The great news is that the app runs quite fast...at least fast enough for my needs. I haven't exactly measured how many fps I am getting(I'm too excited right now)
Anyway, it seems that speed emulation on version 1.1 of the emulator is really screwed up. So, I downloaded version 2.0 of the emulator and speed emulation works much better and closer to the device.
This link explains how to run BREW 1.1 apps on the 2.0 emulator:
http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/developer/developing/docs/FAQ_2EmuWith1xApp...
Regards,
Roshan

An update:
I finally received the T720 handset and tested my app on the device. The great news is that the app runs quite fast...at least fast enough for my needs. I haven't exactly measured how many fps I am getting(I'm too excited right now)
Anyway, it seems that speed emulation on version 1.1 of the emulator is really screwed up. So, I downloaded version 2.0 of the emulator and speed emulation works much better and closer to the device.
This link explains how to run BREW 1.1 apps on the 2.0 emulator:
http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/developer/developing/docs/FAQ_2EmuWith1xApp...
Regards,
Roshan

hi roshweb,
what's the software version on your T720?

hi roshweb,
what's the software version on your T720?

Hi Tellarin,
The s/w version on my T720 is 1.2.22.2DP
Regards,
Roshan

Hi Tellarin,
The s/w version on my T720 is 1.2.22.2DP
Regards,
Roshan

Hi Roshan,
would you by chance know if 2.1 emulator is also backwards compatible with 1.x apps?
TIA
Andre

Hi Roshan,
would you by chance know if 2.1 emulator is also backwards compatible with 1.x apps?
TIA
Andre

Sorry Andre,
I am not aware if the 2.1 emulator works with 1.1 apps. My guess is that it should work ... but I am not sure.
Regards,
Roshan

Sorry Andre,
I am not aware if the 2.1 emulator works with 1.1 apps. My guess is that it should work ... but I am not sure.
Regards,
Roshan

Thks Roshan,
I decided not to dare too much and stick to 2.0 which is a proven solution ;)
Best,
Andre

Thks Roshan,
I decided not to dare too much and stick to 2.0 which is a proven solution ;)
Best,
Andre

The 2.1 emulator works for 1.1 apps, but keep in mind that each emulator only simulates its own version of the BREW API. Thus, you have things like control tabbing being handled differently in each emulator, regardless of which version the app was made for.

The 2.1 emulator works for 1.1 apps, but keep in mind that each emulator only simulates its own version of the BREW API. Thus, you have things like control tabbing being handled differently in each emulator, regardless of which version the app was made for.